Help us persuade the Government to close the ‘viability’ loophole

A lack of affordable housing is often seen as an urban problem, with issues of affordability in rural areas overlooked. It cannot be ignored any longer. Too much of our countryside is eaten up for developments that boost profits, but don’t meet local housing needs because of the ‘viability’ loophole - a legal means of developers dodging their commitments to build affordable homes.

The Government must clampdown on this practice. If not, young people and families will continue to leave our villages and rural towns in their droves, draining the lifeblood and workforce that sustains our countryside. Losing even a small number of affordable homes can be the difference between post offices, pubs and schools staying open or not and between villages thriving or dying.

Please support our campaign today.

What is the ‘viability’ loophole?

Our joint research with Shelter shows how developers are using viability assessments to slash the delivery of rural affordable homes in half. Watch our video to learn more.


Your details


Card details



Secured by

Stay in touch

Please let us know if you are happy for CPRE to email you about our work, campaigns, fundraising, events and other ways you can support us:


Your privacy and data protection

CPRE holds and manages your details in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). We do not share, sell or swap your information with other organisations for their own marketing purposes. Read our Privacy Policy for more information.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding our Privacy Policy or the processing of your personal information, please email or telephone us on 0800 163 680.


Gift Aid is reclaimed by CPRE from the tax you pay for the current tax year.  Your address is needed to identify you as a current UK tax payer. In order to Gift Aid your donation you must tick the box below:


I am a UK tax payer and understand that if I pay less Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax than the amount of Gift Aid claimed on all my donations in that tax year it is my responsibility to pay any difference.

If you circumstances change, or you want to cancel your declaration, please contact us on 0800 163680.


Follow us

facebook Twitter Youtube Linkedin Instagram